Ah, Springtime! Time to think of getting outside, and eating better and healthier. Luckily for us, fresh fruits and vegetables are plentiful at many local Farmers’ Markets! There are numerous economic, environmental and health benefits to eating foods that are locally grown, organic and sustainable. Mississauga Kids has organized a helpful list for you below to make shopping local easy for you!
Fresh, seasonal, local, and often organic food at a great price is irresistible. Consumers know that this type of product is expensive elsewhere, but at the market the price is always right and the quality is unbeatable. In addition to fresh produce, these are also a great places to find seedlings, herbs, breads, homemade condiments and even flowers!
Taking your Mississauga Kids to the Farmers’ Market can be an educational experience. Lessons in counting the stacks of fruit and vegetables or counting money are a possibility. The little ones will love the colours and shapes. The vendors are always excited to tell their story and describe their products. They are always friendly so encourage your little ones to
ask questions. This fosters social skills and confidence. Most often farmers will let you sample their goods. Everyone loves sampling a favorites like strawberries or blueberries. Some of the markets even have storytellers, buskers and a sand box to amuse your Mississauga Kids. Make sure you have a camera ready as your Mississauga Kids try new things!
Shopping at farmers markets also contributes to a greener environment. As you and the kids enjoy fresh, local produce at a great price, you also lower your carbon footprint. There are benefits all around to your family,
your community and our planet!
MISSISSAUGA FARMERS’ MARKETS FOR 2016
- Celebration Square Farmers Market: This Mississauga Central Lions Club operated Farmers Market is located in front of Mississauga City Hall. This Market will open on Wednesdays starting June 1 until October 26, 2016 9am – 5pm
- Famers Market Mississauga: This second Mississauga Central Lions Club operated Farmers Market is located in the parking lot at 3 Robert Speck Parkway (adjacent to Shipp Drive) and runs on Sundays starting on June 5 until October 30, 2016 8am – 4pm
- Sherway Gardens Farmers Market: This established market has been in operation for over 20 years. Located in the parking lot of Sherway Gardens Shopping Centre, this farmers market provides a selection of products including but not limited to Ontario grown greenhouse veggies, bedding plants, breads, meats, honey, eggs and more. Open from 8am to 2pm every Friday starting on May 6th to October 28, 2016.
- Port Credit Farmers Market: This market will be located in parking lot between Planet Organic and the LCBO at Elmwood Ave. & Lakeshore Rd. E. There will be weekly entertainment for the family and plenty of local produce straight from the grower. Vendors also sell items such as honey, pastries, bread, maple syrup, sauces, gourmet donuts and much more! This Market even has a Port Credit Farmers Market Facebook Page! Open from 8am – 1pm every Saturday starting in June.
- Backyard Farm & Market: On the North East corner of Erin Mills Pkwy & Eglinton Ave. West, the Backyard Farm & Market offers food free from antibiotics, chemicals, preservatives & hormones. Plus, family fun with storytelling, a labyrinth, sandbox, eco-kitchen, and other farm activities. Plus, organized workshops on organic gardening, farming and more. Open Saturdays 9am to 1pm starting June 4 – October 1, 2016
- Mississauga Flea Market: Located in the heart of Mississauga at 3092 Mavis Road, Mississauga Flea Market has a great selection of produce. Open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10am-6pm year round.
- Many Feathers Co-op: Located at the Lisgar Go Station at Argentia and 10th Line. The market will run every Sunday from June 12 – October 9 from 9am – 2pm. They offer food, crafters and artisans that will be selling jewelry, handmade body products, and other unique things. There will be Buskers performing as well! Fun for the whole family!